I recently received a call from a former couple that I worked with. They said, “Can we come back in for a few sessions? We need a tune-up!”
Relationships require a certain level of maintenance. Just like a car requires standard maintenance a few times a year, well, your relationship does too.
Unfortunately, so many couples misconstrue this reality.
Have you ever had thoughts like this?
Here is a list of mistaken beliefs that many couples think when it comes to relationship maintenance and nurturing:
- If we have to work at it, then something is wrong.
- I shouldn’t have to tell him what I need, he should just know!
- Sex should just happen, we shouldn’t have to talk about it.
- She should know I love her, why should I have to say it all the time?
- Isn’t it obvious that I appreciate what he does?
- Why do I have to thank him for picking up the kids? He’s supposed to do that.
- We’ve been together 30 years, isn’t it clear that I’m not going anywhere?
- We have sex at least once a week, clearly she’s satisfied.
- Yes, I work late a lot but he understands. If he was unhappy, he’d tell me.
Do you see the pattern here?
These simple statements show us a series of common thoughts that can become relationship poison.
Let me show you what lurks beneath them.
—- continue reading below —-